The vast majority of us have experienced the jolt-like shock that results from static electricity. While it is annoying, it’s not something we tend to worry too much about, but should we? Are there any circumstances, when static electricity might be more than just bothersome?

A static shock in itself is not usually very dangerous. The reason for this is because the current is generally pretty low. But, there are certain circumstances when static electricity may prove to be a hazard.

If flammable vapors or dust are present in a building, it is possible that static electricity could cause them to set alight or explode.

Although static electricity is not directly responsible, if someone quickly recoils from such a static shock whilst in the middle of doing some kind of task like carrying hot liquid etc, a severe injury could easily result.

As crazy as this may sound, did you know that static from a person operating electronic equipment can actually affect the equipment they are using? This has even been known to wipe out a computers hard drive.

Ways to prevent static shocks

  • A humidifier is a good choice because it prevents the air from being too dry. You could also try keeping a few more plants in the house, as these are natural humidifiers.
  • Natural fibers are good to wear instead of synthetic materials, as they can reduce static shocks. Another option is wearing anti-static wrist bands.
  • Fabric softener is a good thing to have. It is good for reducing static. Try a little home remedy by spraying a diluted mixture of softener lightly onto your carpet to reduce static build up.

So to review, while most of the time static electricity is normally just a nuisance, there are certain conditions where it could possibly become a hazard, there is a possibility it can become a hazard. Being aware of these conditions is always a good idea.

error: Content is protected !!